Saturday, January 31, 2009

Red Cliff ll...

I always thought that Red Cliff was a very artsy kind of movie, but tonight I finally knew I was wrong. Simon insisted in watching 'Red Cliff 2' after we went for dinner and I reluctantly agreed because I haven't watch part 1 yet and I wasn't interested in this kind of movies. But, after watching it, I must say it is undeniably a must-watch movie. It'll make you stick to your seat and pay full concentration in the movie because you won't want to miss any of the exciting moments. I especially like the way Zhou Yu (Tony Leung) and Zhu Ge Liang/ Hung Ming (Takeshi Kaneshiro) plan to defeat Cao Cao (Zhang Fengyi) by just following the flow of the wind and other brilliant strategies such as thinking what Cao Cao will do and break his plans and give a twist to make his plans to their full advantage. Lin Zhi Ling's acting was surprisingly good for a model turned Emcee and now actress and she looked gorgeous and full with feminity in the movie. She played the role of Xiao Qiao, Zhou Yu's wife who is gentle, understanding, fragile, tolerant and patient. You can see all of their characteristics if you observe well on what they do and how they think. I also like some scenes from the movie where Xiao Qiao was making tea while Zhou Yu practising with his sword and some scenes during the battles. They were just gorgeous. Every scene was breathtaking. The armies were hit by arrows from the opponents but their strong will keep them alive to finish what they had to do in order to bring back peace and sacrifice for the generals. From my very own point of view, that shows that a good general will sacrifice himself for his armies and armies are willing to sacrifice for him. On the other hand, the bad one will want his armies to sacrifice for him while he stays alive and rule over. I actually learned a lot from this movie, where it was about the 3 kingdoms, although I don't really know much about it, but I believe it was somehow a true story on how China used to think and do all of this great stuffs during war. I was very impressed and I really hope John Woo will keep making more terrific movies like this. After watching this, I really think Malaysia's history is extremely dull and liveless and uninteresting. I think it would be a waste for not watching this movie and I really do suggest people to go and watch it. That's all I got to say. Thumbs up to Red Cliff 2.

[Picture courtesy of China Film Group and Lion Rock Entertainment]

1 comment:

Simon said...

Dear Sean, sorry to 'force' you to watch this movie, hehe.. You know why i insisted to watch this movie? Becoz i strongly believe this is one of the must-watch movies of the year. Furthermore, 'Three Kingdom' is one of the greatest literature in china's history. I really hope that you are enjoying.^^